Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Just Another Beginning

November 18th

Instead of doing everything I must do tonight, I have decided to procrastinate for a little bit. 

There is one quote that perfectly explains my last eight weeks here in San Diego State: "The best things in life appear when you least expect them." 




Alpha Phi Omega - this stressful, time-consuming, national service fraternity is the best thing that has happened to me in college. I have had my ups and downs, but it has provided me a family away from my home. Every time I fall, someone picks me up. Every time I fail, someone encourages me to do better. My pledge brothers expect the best from me and motivate me to give beyond my limits. I have been forced to learn my strengths and weaknesses, and use them to grow as an individual.  

Initially, all I expected was to get through the pledging process, do a couple services, attend long night general body meetings, and that's it. I stayed because my nursing friends stayed. However, now that we're TWO DAYS away from crossing, it's hit me. I cannot imagine my first semester in college without APO. Sure, I could have had more time to study. Yes, maybe I could have spent more time with my suite-mates. And, yes, okay, maybe I could have been more involved with other organizations. However, the time I have put into APO and getting to know everyone in APO has been worth every single thing I could have done. 

I cannot imagine my life right now without the 37 pledge brothers, the pledge committee, and pledge moms that I have. I don't know who would have picked me up when I was at my lowest low, who could have given me multiple hugs when I needed it the most, who could have laughed with me at my highest point and who could have been my own personal models for a weekend. The Omicron pledge class has been the best thing that has ever happened to me. ❤️ // i can just imagine them yelling "SIMP" right now. 


Fall Fellowship '15 - some of Omicron Pledge Class


Along with my pledge class, I have been given a family (s/o Omega). I have been given a Big (❤️❤️❤️), a G, and a G2 that I love oh-so-very much. Even though I don't see them a lot due to all of our busy schedules (and the fact that my G2 is an alumni), I could not be any happier whenever I see or talk to them. I brag about how awesome my line is all the time. My Big is AH-MAZING, my G is madame president of the fraternity and my G2 is the best dork anyone could ever get Denny's with. My line is the reason I want to get involved as an active next semester. 


BAMF Line
Also, a huge shout out to everyone also in APO from other schools. The inter-chapter events have been such a huge part of my pledging process -- so much love and fun and memories shared with the actives and pledges from different chapters (especially Phi Delta, Lambda Mu, Rho Rho & Rho Pi!). One of the things that made me the happiest during my pledge process was getting to know other chapters and all of the brothers involved in this fraternity.


my fave from UCSD Rho Pi

I don't really know what else to say about this fraternity other than thank you. Even though I'll be spending endless hours editing a video for the banquet on Friday, I know it's all worth it because I'll be able to see your beautiful faces even when I'm not with you. You have all provided me with brotherhood I did not expect from joining in the beginning. I could not have loved, laughed, cried and danced more without you all. 

Now that the pledging process is over, my focus is 20000% back to academics. However, I know that I'll be that one stubborn child who will give my best to stay involved (and maybe even be on board someday??) despite the stress of being a nursing major. It's okay to be a little insane if you're doing it for the right people. ❤️ 

I just need to survive tonight and live through tomorrow and Friday. Then I'll be heading home for Thanksgiving break. Although I won't be able to see my mother who is currently abroad, I cannot wait to see the rest of my family and friends in Orange County. No matter how awesome San Diego may be, there is still no place like home. 

I am thankful for ALL of you. 




Much sun (although it's been cold lately),
 Annika. :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment