Monday, January 25, 2016

Walks and Thoughts

January 25th

There is one quote I found online that really got to me:

"Thoughts come clearly when one walks."

Over the winter break, I hiked a lot. However, since I am now back to school without a car, I just take walks on campus. I mostly go in the evening alone; I look for places on campus where it's quiet and beautiful. There are some spots where no other students go, especially in the evening. Most nights, I stop at a certain hideout and read my Bible or listen to music before going back to my dorm.

Potato Chip - San Diego

The beautiful thing about taking evening walks is that you have some time for yourself.

Personally, relaxation is something that I'm terrible at. I know a lot of people can't wait to go home, take a bath, drink tea, eat ice cream, and watch their favorite TV shows. Some people even work out to relax. I've tried it all - I hate baths (it's like sitting in your own filth), drinking tea isn't really relaxing, eating ice cream makes me hyper, and watching TV shows makes me too emotionally attached to characters, which stresses me out even more. I can't even talk about working out; I have a complicated way of motivating myself, and trust me, it is not relaxing it any way.

However, when it comes to hiking and walking, relaxing doesn't seem so hard. For one, walking is a very simple task that has been embedded in our bodies since however old you started walking.

When I go for a walk alone, I put my earphones on, but don't listen to music. I like walking and knowing that I can just wonder off with my thoughts. There's no music, white noise, or people talking to influence my thoughts.

Art Building - SDSU

I like thinking about how my day went, of ways I could have done things better, about what I'm doing tomorrow. I like wondering about how my family is doing, what my best friends did that day, or how my classmates did on a quiz. I like the fact that I can simply think, and not have to answer to anyone.

Although I still take a walk alone every night, I also started going on nightly walks with some of my friends from the nursing program. It's different from walking alone, but it still feels just as beautiful. Not in a relaxing kind of way, but in an adventurous kind of way. I have seen the school in a different perspective; we have gone to places on campus I have never thought to explore alone. These adventures have been fun, and I have gotten to know my friends better from these walks. I have seen sides that I don't see when we're studying, or only walking to class together.

Some pictures from walking with friends:


 

I know you're thinking: what's the point of writing this?

Well, like what the quote says, thoughts truly do come clearly when one is on a walk. Try it out. The world is too fast; things go by too quickly, and rarely do we ever have a chance to slow down and enjoy the small things around us. Go on a walk alone, and take a deep breath. Try to empty your mind of things that are too stressful and unnecessary. Block out the bad, and think of only the good.


I'm glad I have finally found a way to relax. I always thought that I'm the kind of person who does better when under pressure, but now that I have a place to destress, I find that I think, feel, and act better when I'm not tense.

This is just the first step of my year of growth. I can't wait for many more to come.

Remember this: "Little by little, one walks far."


Much sun,

Annika :)

No comments:

Post a Comment